![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 10:39 GMT
Kidd ready for relegation battle ![]() Blackburn's new boss - the job is a "huge responsibility"
The former United assistant boss said there would be "no two-tier system" with star names and lesser lights expected to pull together for the good of the club.
Kidd described United as a "magnificent institution" but said: "That's a chapter in my life which is now firmly closed." Money not an issue He was introduced to the media before Blackburn's home match against Charlton. "It is my intention to devote my full energies and experience to ensuring that the club climbs away from its present position at the foot of the Premiership table," he vowed. Kidd said he had not needed any financial inducement to accept the Rovers challenge.
His only previous experience as a number one was at Barrow and Preston - his short stint with the latter ending in 1986 - and Kidd feared the chance of a top-level manager's job might not come round again. "It's been well-documented that I'm 50 next summer. I think you can leave it too late, and I didn't want to die wondering," he said. A tough decision to leave United Kidd admitted it had been a wrench to leave Old Trafford, saying: "It was emotional when I went to say goodbye to the players. They've been a great part of my life. The apprenticeship I've served under Alex has been unbelieveable."
One of his first tasks will be to persuade Blackburn captain Tim Sherwood and striker Chris Sutton to pledge their futures to the club. Money is available for new players but Kidd wants to have a look at the existing staff before making any changes.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||