| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 26 September, 2002, 20:18 GMT 21:18 UK
Cleared Clydach officer free to return
A policeman arrested on suspicion of the Clydach murders has been told by the South Wales force that he is free to return to work.
Sergeant Steven Lewis was questioned with his ex-wife and twin brother over the brutal killings of Mandy Power, her elderly mother Doris and two daughters Katie and Emily.
Their ordeal lasted 12 months before they were cleared of all charges. Three months ago, labourer David Morris was found guilty of the June 1999 murders. A statement from South Wales Police revealed Stephen Lewis's suspension had been reviewed in accordance with force policy and his reinstatement was effective forthwith. "A file of papers will be forwarded to the Police Complaints Authority in the near future," said Chief Superintendent John Adsley. Sergeant Lewis is now considering his position.
His brother, inspector Stuart Lewis, who was questioned on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice, remains supended and is facing a disciplinary hearing. In July, Steven's ex-wife Alison Lewis, who was Mandy Power's lesbian lover, announced she was to sue South Wales Police for damages. Ms Lewis was also a policewoman at the time, but has since left the force. Newspaper reports claimed at the time that Mrs Lewis was seeking £250,000 in damages, but Ms Lewis' solicitor Bernard de Maid could not confirm the amount in question. During the case, the defence counsel had claimed the "probable" murderer of the Power family was Ms Lewis.
The Lewis brothers are also considering seeking compensation. The South Wales Police Authority is said to have set aside funds to deal with these claims. Meanwhile, builder Morris, 40, has lodged an appeal against his life sentence for the murders of three generations of the same family. He is still waiting to find out if he will be given a fresh hearing before three appeal judges in London. Morris's family have continued to protest his innocence and a poster campaign appeared supporting the convicted killer in the Swansea Valley area.
|
See also:
25 Jul 02 | Wales
07 Jul 02 | Wales
28 Jun 02 | Wales
28 Jun 02 | Wales
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |