BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 26 September, 2002, 10:58 GMT 11:58 UK
Briton seriously ill after Turkey crash
Turkish coach crash
The coach was travelling from Dalaman airport
A British tourist is still in intensive care in hospital after a coach crash in Turkey that claimed the lives of five people.

Another Briton who suffered serious leg injuries in the crash was also being treated in hospital.

A total of 46 Britons were taken to hospital following the crash on Wednesday, 29 of whom had been discharged by Thursday morning.

The accident happened when the coach, ferrying Airtours holidaymakers to the Marmaris resort, in west Turkey, collided with another bus and a car.


I struggled to come to and realised what had happened and then just thought 'I'm alive'

Tina Rigg, crash survivor

Authorities in Turkey reported the five who died were all Turkish nationals.

British consul Dominic Clissold said: "It is too early to say what happened in the accident and the investigation is in the hands of the Turkish police."

Another British man who suffered fractures to his arm and leg was still in hospital, along with a fourth person who was being treated for less serious injuries.

Eleven holidaymakers decided to return home to the UK on Thursday morning after abandoning their stay in the country.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman confirmed that one British man who suffered head injuries remained in intensive care.

Turkish coach crash
The passengers were just starting their holidays
Tina Rigg, who survived the crash, said the ordeal was "terrifying".

The mother-of-three from Preston, Lancashire said: "We were just driving along this road and suddenly there was a massive bang and the next thing I remember is being pulled through the coach window.

"I struggled to come to and realised what had happened and then just thought 'I'm alive'.

"Our coach stayed upright but the front of it was all smashed in on the driver's side. It was awful."

The accident happened at about 0313 local time in Dogusbelen, near Koycegiz, during the 90-minute transfer.

Continuing holidays

The tourists had left Manchester at 1730 BST on Tuesday on a MyTravel Airways flight which arrived in Turkey at 0050 local time on Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for Airtours said: "The vast majority of the passengers have decided to stay on and continue their holidays but 11 have requested to return home and we are bringing them back to Manchester."

Airtours also confirmed those remaining in hospital are from the Lancashire and Stoke-on-Trent areas.

Holidaymakers had also travelled from Preston, Halifax, Shropshire and Gwent, south Wales.

Any relatives or friends still concerned can call the Airtours hotline - 01706 909050.


Click here to go to Lancashire

Click here to go to Manchester
See also:

25 Sep 02 | England
27 Aug 02 | England
18 Aug 02 | Europe
22 May 02 | Business
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes