BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 26 September, 2002, 07:30 GMT 08:30 UK
Jailed farmer awaits freedom
Tony Martin
Tony Martin is "daunted" by the prospect of release
Jailed farmer Tony Martin is set to be released on parole - three years after he shot dead a burglar at his Norfolk home.

Martin, who is currently in Highpoint low security prison in Suffolk, was jailed in April 2000 for the killing of 16-year-old Fred Barras.

His case triggered enormous national controversy about householders' rights to defend their property.

He is technically eligible for parole from Thursday, but his friend Malcolm Starr said it was unlikely he would be released immediately as he hoped to escape publicity by going abroad.


All he wants to do really is to get away somewhere where he won't be hounded day and night

Friend Malcolm Starr

Mr Starr told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that friends of the jailed farmer have been trying to get special dispensation to allow him to travel.

While people on parole are normally banned from leaving the UK, Mr Starr said the uproar surrounding Martin made his "a special case".

"All he wants to do really is to get away somewhere where he won't be hounded day and night so he can then come back and cope with the situation."

'More upbeat'

He said it was possible Martin had been "in some kind of shock" ever since the killing, and was only now recovering.

"I've noticed over the last few months that he's much more upbeat now, very good temperament, very good sense of humour.

"Obviously it's quite daunting after all this publicity to suddenly wonder what you're going to do the day you step out of prison."

Malcolm Starr
Malcolm Starr wants Martin to rest before going home
Mr Starr said the "ideal situation" would be for Martin to have about a month's rest "and then come back and shake everybody's hand that's supported him - if that's possible".

Martin was jailed for life at Norwich Crown Court in April 2000 for murder.

But his sentence was reduced to five years for manslaughter by the Court of Appeal the following year.

Martin opened fire with his illegally-held pump-action shotgun after being disturbed in the middle of the night by burglars at his home, named Bleak House, in Emneth Hungate near Downham Market, Norfolk.

He killed Barras and wounded accomplice Brendan Fearon, 30, who staggered across a field and collapsed.

Fearon was jailed for three years for the burglary.


Click here to go to Norfolk

Click here to go to BBC Suffolk
News and background on Tony Martin's appeal

Key stories

Background
See also:

20 Sep 02 | England
21 Aug 02 | England
15 Jul 02 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes