Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, December 4, 1998 Published at 19:16 GMT


World: Africa

Confusion over Congo ceasefire

This is the news: Rebel soldiers listen to BBC reports

A Brussels-based spokesman for rebel forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo says they are beginning a four-day ceasefire to allow President Kabila to decide whether he is prepared to negotiate with them.


Chris Simpson in Kigali: "Rebels say they have inflicted heavy casualties at Kabalo"
Willy Mishiki told the BBC the ceasefire followed talks in Brussels between two unnamed envoys from President Kabila and rebel representatives.

No confirmation of a ceasefire has come from the Congo. Rebels have been attempting to repulse a major ground and air offensive by Congolese-government allies Zimbabwe, near the south-eastern town of Kabalo.

The meeting is the first time that either side has publicly acknowledged meeting the other and comes a week after Mr Kabila reaffirmed his determination not to negotiate with rebels, describing them as tools of Uganda and Rwanda.

Mr Mishiki said that if President Kabila did not respond by Monday night rebel forces would march towards the town of Lubumbashi.


[ image: Preparations: No sign to end of fighting]
Preparations: No sign to end of fighting
Speaking at the end of a four-hour visit to Namibia, Mr Kabila said he hoped peace would come by Christmas.

Mr Kabila met President Sam Nujoma as part of consultations with allies, ahead of planned regional peace talks in Zambia.

He demanded that Rwanda and Uganda withdraw troops from the Congo before any meaningful peace talks could be held.

"We are ready for (a summit)," said Mr Kabila. "The conditions for a cease-fire are tough."

Mr Kabila will also visit other nations involved in the conflict in coming days, agencies reported.

The Brussels ceasefire announcement comes after Pasteur Bizimungu, president of Rwanda, said no solution to the four-month-old conflict was in sight, despite upbeat talks at last week's Franco-African summit in Paris.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

04 Dec 98 | Africa
Mugabe defends fighting for Congo

21 Nov 98 | Africa
Congo rebels 'agree' cease-fire

20 Aug 98 | Africa
Africa's regional interests in Congo





Internet Links


Democratic Republic of Congo

New Congo Net


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief