BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 25 September, 2002, 12:25 GMT 13:25 UK
Patients' Congo jungle trek to safety
Crowded hospital ward in eastern DR Congo
Hospitals are under pressure because of the fighting

Christian missionaries in the Democratic Republic of Congo have led some 900 hospital patients and staff to safety after a week-long trek through the jungle to escape tribal fighting.


Up to 1,000 people were killed in the fighting

The perilous journey, mainly by foot, began after an attack in early September on one of the main hospitals in eastern Congo, in the village of Nyankunde near the border with Uganda.

Ethnic Lendu fighters were searching for the rival Hema militia, who had established positions in the area.

Missionaries, who have only now reached safety to give details, say that up to 1,000 people were killed in the fighting.

The killings illustrate the dangerous security vaccum developing in Congo - a country the size of western Europe - as foreign armies withdraw under a peace plan, leaving only a very thin United Nations observer presence.

Missionaries in touch with the column of fleeing patients and staff, said the hospital complex at Nyankunde was evacuated after ethnic Lendu fighters descended on it with cutlasses and spears looking for Hema militia allegedly hiding there.

Hospital looted

Patients, doctors and children were killed.

Rwandan soldiers dismantle an anti-aircraft gun
Foreign troops have begun pulling out
After the hospital was thoroughly looted, missionaries decided to risk a walk to safety through hostile jungle terrain.

Remarkably, most of the hospital staff and patients who survived the massacre also survived the trek.

A senior Congolese missionary who led the walk to safety said the fighting at the hospital illustrated the culture of extreme violence among antagonistic tribes in eastern Congo which had been exacerbated by the political crisis in the country.

Ironically, the hospital massacre seems to have been prompted by an international peace plan that includes a pull-out of regional armies backing various factions in the Congo war.

The attack on the hospital followed the withdrawal of Ugandan troops from the area.

When the Ugandans left, the hospital missionaries asked the small UN observer force for protection, but were told it did not have the means to help.

While the withdrawal of foreign armies has been welcomed by peace negotiators, there is now a danger of a power vaccuum developing.

The Congolese missionary who led the patients and staff to safety said that, unless this issue was resolved, the tribal hatred in eastern Congo - which he said had already reached unimaginable depths - could spiral out of all control.


Key stories

Background

TALKING POINT
See also:

24 Sep 02 | Africa
23 Sep 02 | Africa
21 Sep 02 | Africa
29 Jun 02 | Country profiles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes