BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 25 September, 2002, 11:23 GMT 12:23 UK
Army officer 'did not see gunmen'
Lord Saville, (facing) is charing the Bloody Sunday inquiry
Lord Saville is hearing evidence in the Methodist Hall
Former army intelligence officer Colin Wallace has told the Bloody Sunday Inquiry that he did not see any civilian gunmen in Army photographs taken on the day.

The Saville Inquiry relocated to London on Tuesday to hear evidence from former British army soldiers.

The inquiry is examining the events of January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by soldiers in Londonderry during a civil rights march. A 14th person died later.

Mr Wallace said he looked at the photographs in 1972 as he helped the Army's legal team prepare for the Widgery Tribunal.

Relatives of those killed on Bloody Sunday at the start of the London sitting of the inquiry
Memorial: Relatives of those killed laid a wreath at Westminister Abbey

He said he did not see gunmen in the photographs and did not see anything that harmed the Army's case either.

The Saville Inquiry has been trying to discover if the photographs still exist or whether they were destroyed.

It is expected about 300 military witnesses will testify at the Methodist Hall in Westminster, following almost two years of mostly civilian evidence heard in Londonderry.

Soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday successfully opposed in the Court of Appeal the tribunal's ruling that they should travel to Derry to give their evidence.

They claimed they could be attacked by dissident republicans if they made that journey.

Relayed

Most of the soldiers will be anonymous - known only by a letter or number - but they will give evidence openly and not from behind screens.

The proceedings are being relayed to the Guildhall in Derry where the inquiry has been sitting until now.

The soldiers who fired the first shots on the day are not scheduled to give their evidence for at least several weeks.

The general picture painted by civilian witnesses at the inquiry so far is that the soldiers opened fire without justification.

Many of the relatives of those who died are in London to see the soldiers giving evidence.

Lord Saville and the Commonwealth judges who comprise the inquiry began their work nearly four years ago and are not expected to report back until 2004.

Find out more about the Bloody Sunday Inquiry


30th Anniversary

CLICKABLE GUIDES

ARCHIVE VIDEO
See also:

24 Sep 02 | N Ireland
09 Sep 02 | N Ireland
02 Sep 02 | N Ireland
30 Aug 02 | N Ireland
19 Jun 02 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes