| You are in: UK: England | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 25 September, 2002, 16:22 GMT 17:22 UK
Britons hurt in Turkey crash
The coach was travelling from Dalaman airport
Dozens of British holidaymakers in Turkey have been involved in a coach crash in which five people were killed.
A total of 46 Britons were admitted to hospital for treatment. Fifteen people are still in hospital, with one British man described as in a serious but stable condition with head injuries. A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said Turkish authorities had reported five people dead, none of whom were from the UK. The British coach passengers, on holiday with My Travel - formerly Airtours - flew from Manchester Airport on flight MYT189 at 1730 BST on Tuesday.
Tina Rigg, 37, from Preston, Lancashire, was on the Airtours coach when it crashed. She said: "It was terrifying. We were just driving along this road and suddenly there was a massive bang and the next thing I remember is being pulled through the coach window. "I struggled to come to and realised what had happened and then just thought 'I'm alive'. Cuts and bruises "It was obvious another coach had been involved but now we are hearing there was a car as well. "Our coach stayed upright but the front of it was all smashed in on the driver's side. It was awful."
The family were treated for cuts and bruises at hospital and later released and sent on to their hotel, Club Julian, in Marmaris. It is thought the coach hit a car and another coach at Dogusbelen, near Koycegiz. A local police spokesman said it was believed the drivers of the two coaches had died. Support counsellors Airtours have sent a team of counsellors to Turkey tp help support its customers and staff. The company's Lesley Peters said: "We have sent out counsellors to help any customers that may need a little bit of extra help to get over the fact that they have actually been involved in this incident. "We have also sent out a result team from the UK to Turkey." My Travel said the majority of the holidaymakers were from the North West of England. Among those on the coach were two people from Humberside, two from Lancashire, four from St Helens, two from Stoke-on-Trent, one from Birkenhead, one from Birmingham, two from Cheshire and an Airtours rep. Holidaymakers had also travelled from Preston, Halifax, Shropshire and Gwent, South Wales. Most are now recovering in their hotels. Concerned relatives can contact a helpline set up by the travel company on 01706 909050, or the Foreign Office on 0207 0080138.
|
See also:
27 Aug 02 | England
18 Aug 02 | Europe
22 May 02 | Business
22 Sep 01 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top England stories now:
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more England stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |