![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, December 4, 1998 Published at 10:29 GMT Business: The Economy Banana war hots up ![]() The US says the the EU's banana import policies are bent The United States has renewed its attack on the European Union (EU) in the escalating 'banana war' over import restrictions across the Atlantic. The US is seeking an opening up of the banana market after the World Trade Organisation (WTO) ruled last year that EU import policies were discriminatory. Nations from the British Commonwealth, particularly from the Caribbean and Africa, are favoured at the expense of Latin American nations, many of which have banana producers owned by US interests. Now the US has firmly rejected a proposal to the WTO by EU external trade commissioner Sir Leon Brittan to try and speed up the resolution of the argument by instigating a three month settlement procedure.
He added that if the EU believed its banana import policies were right it would quickly "do everything possible to bring (the issue) to closure." "For the EU to claim that there's simply not sufficient time (to resolve the dispute) stretches the bounds of hypocrisy," Mr Scher said. Duty hike The US has threatened to slap a 100% duty on EU products, effectively doubling their price. It has promised to finalise a list of the products affected by the duty hike in mid-December. EU food exports to the US are being targeted and include wine, cheese and pastries. The duty is likely to result in a significant loss in sales. Mr Scher said the US, while remaining open to negotiations, intended to go ahead with the sanctions, which could amount to $1bn (£606m). The US will ask the WTO on 21 January for permission to press ahead with the sanctions. |
The Economy Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||