![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 17:59 GMT UK Lords reject police trauma claim ![]() Police officers look on as the tragedy unfolds at Hillsborough Four police officers who suffered severe mental trauma following the 1989 Hillsborough football stadium disaster have failed in their bid for compensation.
The five lords voted three-two to uphold an appeal by the chief constable of South Yorkshire against an earlier decision to grant the officers compensation. Ninety-six football fans died and more than 700 were injured at Hillsborough. Wider issue
"The chief constable's main argument was that professional rescuers should not recover (damages) for psychiatric injury. "They have said these rescuers don't recover because they had no risk of physical injury, or perceived risk of physical injury, because the crush had finished, they were dealing with the bodies.
Trevor Hicks, who leads the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said he sympathised with the officers but pointed out that many relatives had been refused compensation. "Sadly, we think the decision is a correct one on this occasion," he added. Fourteen officers have already won settlements totalling £1.2m for the post-traumatic stress they suffered. The four whose claim has been rejected were less closely involved, but have fought their employers to the House of Lords. All four police officers have taken retirement on grounds of ill health and and no longer work for South Yorkshire Police. Claims of psychiatric injuries brought by 17 other officers depend on the decision. |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||