Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 18:53 GMT


World: Europe

Genocide suspect arrives at the Hague

General Krstic (left) with Radovan Karadzic

The Bosnian Serb general Radislav Krstic has arrived in the Netherlands to face trial at the UN War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague.

General Krstic, who is charged with genocide in connection with the fall of the Muslim enclave of Srebrenica in 1995, was detained on Wednesday by NATO-led peace-keeping forces in the north of the Bosnian Serb Republic.

The Bosnian Mulsims have welcomed the arrest, but the Bosnian Serb president, Nikola Poplasen, accused the NATO-led Stabilisation Force of "highway robbery".


[ image: Women were allowed to go, their menfolk disappeared]
Women were allowed to go, their menfolk disappeared
He said his government was cutting links with the force to a minimum.

General Krstic was arrested on a secret indictment, which prevents suspects from finding out about their impending arrest.


Jacky Rowland reports from Sarajevo
Srebrenica was overrun by Bosnian Serb militia in 1995 and as many as 8,000 Muslim men are believed to have been killed.

The general is indicted as the Commander of the Drina Corps of the Bosnian Serb Army which led the campaign from July to November.

Crimes against humanity

He faces five other charges brought both in respect of his personal involvement in the alleged crimes, and in respect of his responsibility for the actions of soldiers under his command.

Charges against the general include:

  • Complicity to commit genocide
  • Extermination, a crime against humanity
  • Murder, a crime against humanity
  • Violation of the laws or customs of war
  • Persecutions, a crime against humanity.

General Krstic is the highest-ranking Bosnian Serb officer currently in custody. The tribunal's chief prosecutor, Louise Arbour, described him as a very significant military leader.


Louise Arbour: A very significant figure
Announcing the arrest, Nato Secretary-General Javier Solana said: "Persons indicted for war crimes who are still at large should realise they, too will be brought to justice."

So far the Tribunal has convicted one suspect for the killings at Srebrenica: Drazen Erdemovic, an ordinary soldier who had confessed to his crimes.

Both General Ratko Mladic, the Bosnian Serb military commander, and the political leader, Radovan Karadzic, have avoided arrest on war crimes charges.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

03 Dec 98 | Monitoring
Bosnian Serb president: Nato overstepped mandate

19 Nov 98 | Europe
Serbs accused of chemical attacks

28 Sep 98 | Europe
UN troops cleared of Bosnia cover-up

23 Jul 98 | Europe
Up to '20,000' still missing in Bosnia





Internet Links


Bosnet - Information on Bosnia

Nato/SFOR

International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia

International Criminal Tribunal: Krstic statement


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift