![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 14:22 GMT
Indonesia sets elections date ![]() Students march in Jakarta demanding faster democratic reforms Indonesia's government has announced national elections will be held in June next year as thousands of Indonesian students continue to occupy the centre of the capital, Jakarta.
President BJ Habibie has been under mounting pressure to hold early elections since his predecessor, former President Suharto, was forced to resign in May. Thousands of students again marched peacefully through the streets of Jakarta calling for the trial of former President Suharto and demanding elections to be free and fair. Security forces blocked them reaching parliament. The latest protests come after a series of bloody anti-government protests last month in which at least 14 people died. Election within deadline Speaker Harmoko said the People's Consultative Assembly would meet to choose a new president following the election.
But more than 80 new parties have formed since Mr Suharto's May resignation, although only a minority are expected to contest the poll. BBC Jakarta Correspondent Jonathan Head said the elections date was the last possible under a deadline set by last month's special Assembly session.
This argument appears acceptable to most opposition parties which need to to establish a network of local support. The parliament has still not decided what electoral system will be used next June. Our correspondent says it looks likely that most parties will agree to stick with an entirely proportional system, whereby members win seats in electoral regions according to their party's share of the national vote. The biggest challenge facing the authorities is likely to be how to keep the campaigning period peaceful. Hundreds of people died during the last election in 1997 in which only three parties took part. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||