Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 12:17 GMT


World: Africa

Famine eases in southern Sudan


Relief workers in a region of southern Sudan Bahr al-Ghazal where scores of people were dying of starvation every day in July have reported that conditions have dramatically improved since then.

An official of the UN World Food Programme, Mohammed Saleheen, told Reuters newsageny today that the region had received the relief aid it had asked for at the height of the crisis, and many lives were saved.

Mr Saleheen said the region was now out of the intensive care unit but still in hospital.

The Sudanese government and the rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army had agreed a three-month ceasefire in the region in July to allow relief aid to get through.

This was extended by another three months in October.

Mr Saleheen said that a convoy of seven barges left the northern port of Kosti last week, and was expected to arrive at the town of Juba in early January.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief