![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, December 6, 1998 Published at 10:49 GMT Sport: Cricket ECB backs two-tier structure ![]() A green light has been given to the new structure
The 18 counties agreed, by an overwhelming majority, to adopt a two-tier programme from the start of the 2000 season.
The two division idea was thrown out last year but, ever since the First Class Forum met in October, the change has been imminent. Since 1890, the championship has remained largely unchanged and this move is designed to improve England's competitive strength at international level.
That in itself, will reduce the overall strength of counties that provide players for the extended international format.
The chairman of the ECB, Lord MacLaurin, said: "This is an historic day for cricket in England and Wales. "We can raise the profile of the game and improve the quality of the players by making this change and I'm confident that Team England will benefit from the introduction of a harder edged competition." 'A good thing' Yorkshire skipper David Byas has joined the chorus of approval for the changes, saying it will provide the Championship with just the boost it needs. "I think it's definitely a good thing," Byas said. "It will make the championship more competitive and everybody will be hoping to get into the first division." The top nine finishers in next season's championship will make up the first division for the 2000 season with the rest in the second and a three-up and three-down promotion system. And Byas said he felt confident his young Yorkshire team would prove strong enough to command a place in the top flight. "We've been there or thereabouts in recent seasons and hopefully we'll do it again next year because we've got to get in the top division. Yorkshire simply have to be in the top flight of English cricket," he said. 'Not thought through' Despite the majority vote for the changes, doubts remain as to whether the two-tier system will improve the quality of cricket in England and Wales.
"What we've had is a very long campaign," he said. "But I know senior ECB officials who have grave reservations [about the changes] - to the point they actively disagree with them. "There's no doubt that everyone has accepted the idea - but that's only because the pressure to do so was so great. "Until people start to recognise the need to start to inculcate a cricket consciousness in the young, tinkering with the county championship won't help the problem's one little but.
|
Cricket Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||