![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 06:28 GMT World: Americas Mitch death toll queried Mitch was one of the deadliest storms in 200 years Honduras has launched an investigation into the true number of people who died in Hurricane Mitch following allegations that some regions exaggerated their figures to obtain more emergency aid.
But since then, the governments of the two worst hit countries, Nicaragua and Honduras, have both reduced their figures.
Interior Minister Delmer Urbizo said: "We do not want to use the pain and death caused by Mitch in Honduras to obtain international aid.'' But he added: "The death toll is only part of the tragedy ... The fundamental thing is that Honduras was completely destroyed. '' Earlier this week, the government reduced its casualty figure by more than 1,000 to 5,657. But it said more than 8,000 people were still missing following the floods which left 12,272 injured and 1.4 million homeless. Nicaraguan officials also admitted their estimate of 3,800 dead was too high, bringing the final count down to 3,045. The debate over the death toll intensified this week after Honduras suspended a regional governor for allegedly increasing the local death toll five-fold. However, Lucila Barahona says she sent in the correct figure, but the interior ministry confused the picture by adding on the number of homeless.
Donations at risk
The two countries' lower figures bring the regional death toll to about 9,200 .
It smashed national infrastructures, wiped out crops and set development back by years. The international community responded with a massive relief effort, pledging hundreds of millions of dollars and flying in thousands of rescue workers. But our Central Americas correspondent Peter Greste says some aid agencies are now worried the dispute over the number of dead may leave donors reconsidering their contributions to a region that still needs help.
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||