![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 10:20 GMT UK Lords rule on Hillsborough police trauma Police tried to lift fans out of the stadium crush The House of Lords is to rule whether four police officers can receive compensation for trauma suffered at the Hillsborough stadium disaster nine years ago.
The four due to hear the Lords verdict on Thursday were less closely involved, but have fought their employers to the House of Lords. Claims of psychiatric injuries brought by 17 other officers depend on the decision.
South Yorkshire police admitted responsibility, along with Sheffield Wednesday and the club's engineers. The Court of Appeal said the four officers - who have now left the force - were entitled to compensation. Three of the officers were considered close enough to the tragedy to be considered rescuers and the fourth had been put at risk of psychiatric injury by his employer's negligence. The decision angered the victims' relatives, who have been denied compensation. 'Matter of life and death' South Yorkshire police appealed to the Lords to overturn the ruling, resulting in Thursday's decision. Meanwhile, police have confirmed that taxpayers are to foot the bill for the defence costs of two former police officers accused of the manslaughter of fans at the disaster. South Yorkshire Police Authority has decided to pay the defence costs of former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield and former Supt Bernard Murray. Both are due before Leeds magistrates on 7 December to face a private prosecution brought by relatives of the Liverpool fans who died.
He said: "South Yorkshire Police Authority is meeting the cost of legal advice for these long-retired police officers and will continue to do so until this case is concluded. "Police have to make split-second decisions which could be crucial to people's lives and liberty. These can sometimes be a matter of life and death. "The two men are fully entitled to have their costs met. It is necessary for the long-term morale of the force."
The first allegation the two former officers face is that on 15 April 1989 the two defendants unlawfully killed John Alfred Anderson and James Gary Aspinall. It is also alleged that the former senior officers "wilfully neglected to carry out a public duty on that day". A spokesman for relatives of the disaster victims declined to comment.
|
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||