![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 2, 1998 Published at 18:15 GMT Sport: Football Millwall rapped over City crowd trouble ![]() The New Den, scene of September's trouble Millwall have escaped punishment from the Football Association over the pitch invasions that marred their match with Manchester City earlier this season. The Second Division club were found guilty of failing to control spectators and were warned about their future conduct. Coins were thrown on the pitch and City players claimed they had been spat at and threatened during the crowd trouble in the match at the New Den on September 29. After a six-hour hearing an FA crowd control commission said it was impressed by the south London side's determination to prevent any further problems. But the commission said the FA would continue to monitor the situation closely with the club. Late goal sparked trouble Police Superintendent Trevor Brydges told the commission the game had to be held after four separate pitch invasions and police had to stop fans reaching players and officials. He said part of the trouble had been blamed on hooligans from other London clubs attending the fixture. Supt Brydges added new measures had been brought in at Millwall to combat football violence. Match referee Matt Messias also gave evidence on the clashes during a volatile second half of the league match, which ended 1-1. The trouble was sparked after City scored a late equaliser - but a bad tempered game also featured a mass brawl between the two teams, which was sparked when City's Tony Vaughan and Millwall's Paul Shaw were sent off. Six other players were booked and a furious City manager Joe Royle said at the time: "The home fans were refereeing at times." |
Football Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||