Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 2, 1998 Published at 18:40 GMT


World: Middle East

Netanyahu says Palestinians break peace deal

A Jewish extremist has been blamed for the murder of a Palestinian

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has written to US President Bill Clinton, accusing the Palestinians of breaching the recent interim peace deal.

Middle East
Mr Netanyahu's chief media advisor, David Bar-Ilan, said the letter referred to four major areas of violation.

"It asks for American pressure and influence on the PLO to cease and desist from these violations," Mr Bar-Ilan said.

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat dismissed the Israeli accusations, saying they were nothing new.

Mr Netanyahu accuses the Palestinian leadership of incitement and of openly planning to declare an independent state next year, although the final phase of negotiations has not yet begun.

Mr Netanyahu said other Palestinian violations included statements by the speaker of the Palestinian legislature, Ahmed Qorei, calling on Palestinians to fight the further expansion of Jewish settlement on the West Bank.

The prime minister's complaints come only days after he told the BBC that the Palestinians had largely complied with the terms of the interim agreement.

"So far, in last two weeks, we saw that they did more or less what they promised to do," Mr Netanyahu told BBC One's Breakfast with Frost programme.

Violence after funeral


[ image: A protest in support of Palestinian prisoners turned violent]
A protest in support of Palestinian prisoners turned violent
The complaints come against a background of increasing Israeli-Palestinian violence.

Palestinians clashed with Israeli police in East Jerusalem, following the funeral of a murdered Palestinian.

The 41-year-old father of six was stabbed to death in a killing which is being blamed on a Jewish extremist.

Hundreds of Palestinians are reported to have been involved in the clashes.

Mr Arafat described the murder of the Arab as a breach of the peace deal with Israel and part of a continuing attempt to drive Arabs out of Jerusalem.

The man was killed in the city's ethnically mixed Abu Tor region, where Jews and Arabs are in daily contact.

In a separate incident on the West Bank, a car carrying an Israeli soldier and a civilian was intercepted by Palestinian youths near the town of Ramallah, after a protest against the continued detention of Palestinians in Israeli jails.

The civilian fled under a hail of stones, while the soldier was manhandled and disarmed before he escaped with injuries, and the car was set alight.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

02 Dec 98 | Archive
Israel at 50: What chance for peace?

29 Nov 98 | Middle East
Deadlock at Palestinian-Israeli talks

29 Nov 98 | Middle East
Palestinians keeping promises says Netanyahu

23 Nov 98 | Middle East
Palestinians protest over prisoners

20 Nov 98 | Middle East
Analysis: A kind of peace





Internet Links


Palestinian National Authority

Israeli Government


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform