Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, December 3, 1998 Published at 02:35 GMT


UK

Florists 'sold stolen wreaths'



A married couple stole floral tributes and wreaths from a cemetery to use in their florist's shop, a court has been told.


The BBC's John Thorne: Police followed up an alleged encounter at the cemetery
Mary Scott, 35, and David Scott, 60, from North Shields, are alleged to have taken wreaths and floral tributes from the Garden of Remembrance at Preston Cemetery in North Shields and recycled them for new wreaths.

They deny five charges of theft.

The couple said they were only checking up on the floral skills of their competitors in the district, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

Brian Forster, prosecuting, told the jury that the cemetery's caretaker had noticed a car parked near the garden on 6 April this year.

He explained she had seen a woman, who the prosecution says was the defendant, carrying a floral tribute.

"Mr Scott was in close proximity. He was seen to be walking backwards and forwards. He was keeping watch."

The defendants were challenged by the caretaker but said nothing and drove off.

The caretaker got most of their registration number and the police later visited the defendants' home where they found laurel from a tree in the Garden of Remembrance and two memorial cards.

One read "To a precious man who is now in peace" and the other stated "To Uncle Jim, goodbye and God bless".

Accounts 'varied'

The defendants were interviewed at length by police and their accounts varied, said the prosecution.

Mr Forster said the defendants accepted they had taken a laurel because it was hard to get hold of and the wreaths had been taken towards their car so they could see them properly.

This was so they could find out what their competition in North Shields was doing.

Mr Scott, in a police statement, said the memorial cards were in their house because he would rummage through a skip in the cemetery and take some home for their daughter, who stuck them in a bereavement book she kept.

The trial continues and is expected to last two days.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online