![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 2, 1998 Published at 20:29 GMT World: Europe Massive security for Turkey match ![]() Ready and waiting: Police prepare for the fans A European Champions League football match with immense political overtones is underway in the Turkish city of Istanbul, amid a massive security presence.
The unprecedented security measures are being taken because of fears of violence stemming from Italy's refusal to hand over to Turkey the Kurdish separatist leader, Abdullah Ocalan. Correspondent Chris Morris says there was a deafening chorus of boos and whistles as Juventus first took to the field. There were no Italian fans in evidence. Thousands of fans briefly chanted slogans against the PKK Kurdish rebel movement. The match was postponed because of security fears last week, angering Turkey. Turkish Interior Minister Kutlu Aktas said the game was now a "matter of honour". "We're not barbarians" "Galatasaray may win or lose, or there could be a draw. There will be no incidents in any of these cases," Interior Minister Kutlu Aktas he told Reuters news agency. "Europe might call us barbarians, but we are not like that", Mr Aktas said, "Turkey's honour is at issue here. I wish Galatasaray the best of luck." He added: "The most important thing here is to show Turkish hospitality in the best way. Galatasaray has completed all necessary preparations and our spectators are no less civilised than European spectators." Press reports say that a helicopter will be ready to evacuate the players in case of trouble. Galatasaray chairman Faruk Suren said: "The team is going to be protected as if statesmen or a president of a state or government is visiting Turkey".
But concern was still high on the Juventus side. Juventus goalkeeper Angelo Peruzzi said the Turin side wanted to fly to Turkey as late as possible before kick-off and leave as soon as the match had finished. "We have been more or less forced to go and play but we are very worried," Mr Peruzzi said. "UEFA and the Italian and Turkish government know that they have a huge responsibility. I repeat, there is a lot of worry among all our players." Anti-Italian sentiment Italy's decision not to extradite Mr Ocalan, who was arrested in Rome last month, provoked an anti-Italian backlash in Turkey.
However, the Italian Culture Minister, Giovanna Melandri, and the Foreign Trade Minister, Piero Fassino, have accepted an invitation from the Turkish Sports Minister, Yuchel Seckiner and are also going to the match. The ministers' statement read: "The (Italian) government has not left Juventus alone, and it is not going to do so."
And it is not only emotions on the Turkish side that are known to run high. In May this year, police with dogs took to the pitch and fired tear gas into the stands when Juventus fans began rioting during a match between the home side and Atalanta, which was eventually suspended.
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||