Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 2, 1998 Published at 14:53 GMT


Health

Breast surgery recall

Forty women have been recalled to Fairfield Hospital

A hospital is recalling 40 women who have had breast surgery after an investigation into the work of a consultant surgeon.

The records of 460 patients at Fairfield Hospital, in Bury, Greater Manchester, have been reviewed by independent specialists.


Philip Bacon: "Vast majority of patients seen by Mr Baumber were satisfactorily dealt with"
The women are being given breast X-rays at four special clinics running this week and next. So far, nine have been given the all-clear.

The investigation into the work of the consultant, David Baumber, began after the deaths of two of his patients earlier this year.

Nurses at Fairfield complained to hospital managers about his work and five outside specialists were called in.


[ image: Philip Bacon: Most patients
Philip Bacon: Most patients "satisfactorily" dealt with
Mr Baumber, who has been reported to the General Medical Council, last treated a patient in mid-April and has since resigned.

He had worked at the hospital for 21 years, and the independent specialists say there is no cause for concern amongst patients who were treated before 1995.

The Chief Executive of Bury Healthcare Trust, Philip Bacon, said: "The concerns raised by nurses related to the post-operative care, not to the operations themselves.

"The outside specialists we have commissioned have all been quite clear that all the operations were carried out satisfactorily but have been critical of the post-operative period."

He told BBC Radio 5 that the specialists had recommended "purely as a precaution" that the hospital should arrange to see the 40 women again.

He added: "The concern throughout has been patient care.

"The vast, vast majority of patients seen by Mr Baumber were satisfactorily dealt with.

"We have checked with doctors and nurses who worked with Mr Baumber and they have said that they had no concerns before 1995."

A phoneline has been set up for women who have been treated by Mr Baumber.

The number is 0161 293 5500.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Health Contents

Background Briefings
Medical notes

Relevant Stories

30 Jul 98 | Health
Electrical test for breast cancer

16 Jul 98 | Health
Cancer surgeon suspended





Internet Links


Breast cancer facts


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Disability in depth

Spotlight: Bristol inquiry

Antibiotics: A fading wonder

Mental health: An overview

Alternative medicine: A growth industry

The meningitis files

Long-term care: A special report

Aids up close

From cradle to grave

NHS reforms: A guide

NHS Performance 1999

From Special Report
NHS in crisis: Special report

British Medical Association conference '99

Royal College of Nursing conference '99