![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 2, 1998 Published at 01:29 GMT Sport Tyson faces prison again Mike Tyson: Facing another jail term, just as a return to the ring beckoned The former world heavy weight boxing champion, Mike Tyson, could face up to 20 years in prison after saying he will not contest charges that he attacked two men after a minor traffic accident. He has appeared in court in Maryland for a brief hearing and will be sentenced early next year. Tyson, who is on probation for a conviction for rape, was involved in the traffic incident in August. The former heavyweight champion's plea, which stemmed from a traffic accident in a Washington suburb, is not an admission of guilt. But it does mean Tyson could be punished with 10 years in prison for each count when judge Steven Johnson sentences him, in January. Tyson said he was aware the plea could affect his probation status from a 1992 rape conviction, for which he served three years in prison. His probation period from the rape sentence ends in March. Abmielec Saucedo and Richard Hardick reached an out-of-court settlement with Tyson to avoid a civil suit after claiming the fighter kicked and punched them after the traffic incident. "He admits to losing his temper on the side of the road," said Tyson's attorney Paul Kemp. Tyson had no comment on the case but said he plans to make his return to the ring in a fight next year against South Africa's Francois Botha. Tyson was banned from boxing by Nevada officials in July last year after biting Evander Holyfield's ears during their world title fight.
|
Sport Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||