Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 1, 1998 Published at 20:13 GMT


UK

Two die in bus tragedy

The bus driver has been taken to hospital suffering from shock

Two women were killed and eight others injured when a bus mounted the pavement and crashed through a barrier in Sunderland bus station.


The BBC's John Thorne: "A two-year-old child suffered severe head injuries"
Inspector Ken Short, of Northumbria Police Motor Patrol South, said the two women who died were waiting on a bus depot seat inside the station.

They were hit and then dragged underneath the bus.

The driver was also taken to hospital and is said to be in deep shock.

It is not yet known what caused the bus to go out of control.

A two-year-old child suffered serious head injuries and was taken to the city's hospital.

Speaking from the bus station, where safety barriers were strewn across the concourse, many witnesses were close to tears as they spoke of their horror at the carnage.

People were trapped under the wheels

John Lamb, 68, of Hendon, Sunderland, who helped comfort one injured person until paramedics arrived, said: "I heard a massive smash and when I looked around the bus just ploughed through the bus stop. I ran to see what I could to do and saw a woman and a young child under the wheels.

"I held one woman's neck to keep her steady and she was bleeding heavily."

Temporary Divisional Officer Alan Brown, of Tyne and Wear Fire Brigade, who was at the scene, said: "The crews were very distressed by what they encountered. Just imagine a packed bus station and a bus careering through it.

"It was a horrendous experience for everyone at the bus station and anyone would find such an incident distressing."

Staff from the Vehicle Inspectorate have visited the scene and are working closely with the Police Accident Investigation Team.

Inspector Short, who is leading the investigation, said: "There were a number of eye witnesses to the accident and it will have been very distressing both for them and for the emergency services who had to deal with it."

He said that the knock-on effect for traffic in the city would be "horrendous" as several roads had been closed while police investigated the incident.

He added that a football match in the city on Tuesday would compound the traffic problems.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online