Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 1, 1998 Published at 16:04 GMT


UK

Soldier wiil not be prosecuted over police shooting


A woman soldier who allegedly shot a policeman by mistake while on undercover duty in Belfast will not be prosecuted.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in Northern Ireland has decided to take no further action against the unnamed officer, who was arrested after a Royal Ulster Constabulary officer was shot in January.

He was hit in the chest when police chased the undercover soldier's car along the Crumlin Road to Carlisle Circus in north Belfast.

Assistant Chief Constable Bill Stewart appointed a senior detective to head an inquiry into the incident and he reported to the DPP earlier this year.

Alan White, a spokesman for the DPP in Northern Ireland, said they had now decided not to proceed because there was "insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction".

Tension was high

Carlisle Circus is situated in a volatile part of the city where the loyalist Shankill abuts the republican Cliftonville district.

It has never been made clear what the soldier was doing in the area at the time but tension was high in the city following a spate of tit-for-tat sectarian killings sparked by the murder of loyalist paramilitary leader Billy Wright.

A number of shots were fired, leaving the policeman badly wounded.

He has since made a partial recovery but his career in the force was ended as a result of his injuries.

A spokesman for the RUC Police Federation, Alan Burnside, told BBC News Online: "We are not happy, not so much that they are not going to prosecute, but that it happened at all.

'Must not happen again'

"It has happened before - the Army has killed a police officer before - but we hope it never happens again."

Mr Burnside said he understood officers became suspicious of the soldier's car but when they approached she was not sure whether they were real policemen and opened fire, believing her life was in danger.

He said he believed there was nothing to be gained from a prosecution and added: "We have shot innocent civilians on occasion so we know the sort of problems she faced."

Mr Burnside said: "Other soldiers might have been more cautious in those circumstances but she was slightly less cautious. But there was no evidence she was negligent."





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
Internet Links


RUC


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online