Peter Johnson's resignation as Everton chairman came a few hours short of a week after he concluded secret negotiations which put him on a collision course with his manager.
Monday 30 November was the day he left, but Monday 23 November was the day he may as well have signed the resignation letter.
This is how the dramatic week developed, along with the full text of the this Monday's two Goodison statements.
Monday 23 November: As his club beat Newcastle 1-0 at Goodison Park,
Johnson and United counterpart Freddy Shepherd hatch a plan to take suspended striker Duncan Ferguson to Tyneside without the knowledge of Everton
boss Walter Smith, who is told of the deal after the final whistle.
Everton fans respond angrily to news that their hero is on his way out to help
reduce the club's crippling £20m overdraft.
![[ image: Walter Smith: Plenty to complain about]](/olmedia/225000/images/_225141_smith150.jpg) |
| Walter Smith: Plenty to complain about |
Tuesday: Smith admits he came close to resigning over the incident but pledges
his future to the Merseyside club. Ferguson heads for Tyneside to tie up the deal.
Wednesday: Ferguson completes his move. Everton fans' fury is heightened when it is revealed none of the cash will be
available for Smith to strengthen the team. Johnson comes under increasing
pressure from fans to go and returns to his Jersey home.
Thursday: As discontent rumbles in Merseyside, Smith names veteran defender
Dave Watson as Ferguson's successor as club captain.
![[ image: Peter Johnson: Looking to sell]](/olmedia/225000/images/_225141_johnson150.jpg) |
| Peter Johnson: Looking to sell |
Friday: Smith turns his attentions to the weekend's fixture at Charlton but confusion is increased by Johnson's silence as reports circulate that Smith did know about the transfer.
Saturday: Ferguson scores twice on his Newcastle debut but Everton also win at Charlton as fans make their feelings known with a series of angry banners calling for Johnson to step down.
Sunday: Johnson has time to reflect on the stinging comments of the Everton faithful.
Monday 30 November: The club confirms that Smith was kept in the dark until the deal was done. Johnson steps down and says he will
listen to offers for his 68% share holding in the club.
The statements in full
The first of two documents handed out by Goodison Park officials was headed as a joint statement by club and manager.
- "In the light of many comments, some highly speculative, currently being made regarding Duncan Ferguson's transfer to Newcastle, both Chairman and Manager felt the following Statement should be issued on a joint basis.
- "After four months in the Manager's seat, having spent 20 million pounds on six new players, bringing the squad total to 35, Walter Smith assessed his playing staff and discussed with the Chairman his plans for the future.
- "Having seen the Manager's report, the Chairman emphasised to him the requirement to sell players to return the squad to reasonable proportions.
- "The Club had received a substantial offer for Duncan Ferguson earlier in the season, which was rejected. The Chairman and Manager agreed that any future offer should be given serious consideration. The Club then became aware of Newcastle's interest.
- "Events started to move rapidly last Monday evening. A substantial offer for Duncan Ferguson was received from Newcastle United, which was discussed with that Club's representatives immediately before and during the course of last Monday evening's game. Their discussions resulted in an agreement being reached at that time.
- "Unfortunately, details of these discussions were not passed to Walter Smith during the course of the game, and it is regretted that he learned of the final agreement reached regarding Duncan Ferguson in the manner he did subsequent to the conclusion of the match."
Resignation
Just hours later a second statement was released.
- "After 11 years as chairman of a football club, four years with Everton and
seven years with Tranmere Rovers, Peter Johnson has decided to step down as
chairman of Everton Football Club.
- "The role has been particularly difficult to carry out since he moved to
Jersey earlier this year and the increased pressure has led to health concerns.
- "Mr Johnson is delighted that Sir Philip Carter and Bill Kenwright have
agreed to take on the roles of chairman and deputy chairman respectively.
- "Mr Johnson is to remain on the board as a non-executive director and over
the coming months he will be considering options for his 68% beneficial
interest. The decision to step down will not affect the sale of his interest in
Tranmere which is currently underway."