![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 30, 1998 Published at 19:56 GMT
Everton chairman Johnson quits ![]() Peter Johnson (left) and Walter Smith in happier times Peter Johnson has resigned as Everton chairman following a series of controversies culminating in the row over the sale of Duncan Ferguson to Newcastle.
Johnson said he had decided to go because the job had become increasingly difficult since he moved to Jersey earlier this year. The increased pressure had led to health concerns, he added.
Johnson is to remain on the board as a non-executive director and over the coming months he will be considering options for his 68% beneficial interest. 'Only a step in the right direction' Fans have welcomed the news but have warned the club that they will not be happy until that stake is sold. Bob Naylor, spokesman for the Everton Supporters (Goodison) Club said: "It's only a step in the right direction. It's all a bit late really, but we won't rest until he has sold his shares and has gone from the club all together.
"There has been one catastrophe after another and the sale of Duncan Ferguson was the final straw." If the decision had been taken by Smith fans would have accepted it but "the player was sold by the chairman without the manager knowing, and that is nonsense". Theatre impresario Kenwright, who Johnson beat for control of the club in 1993, is believed to be putting together finance to bid for Johnson's shares, but fans and shareholders are prepared for a long wait. Naylor said: "We have constantly been told that Kenwright isn't in the same league as far as money is concerned as Johnson, so it could take some time for the money to be got together." 'Go quietly' message The club's shareholders' association, who were demanding an EGM to pass a vote of no confidence in Johnson, revealed that they spoke to him last week and advised him to resign now. "It seems that he has taken that advice," said vice chairman Kevin Nolan. "We told him that as a club owner he had the right to buy and sell who he wanted, but there is a moral code to uphold in your dealings with your manager, and he chose to ignore it." Earlier in the day the club finally agreed to manager Smith's demand that he be absolved from all blame surrounding Ferguson's departure.
On Monday the club confirmed that he had not been informed of developments, but a statement stopped short of an apology to the manager. The key point of the document said: "A substantial offer for Ferguson was received from Newcastle which was discussed with that club's representatives immediately before and during the course of last Monday's game. "Their discussions resulted in an agreement being reached at the time. "Unfortunately, details of these discussions were not passed to Walter Smith during the course of the game and it is regretted that he learned of the final agreement reached regarding Duncan Ferguson in the manner he did subsequent to the conclusion of the match." |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||