![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 30, 1998 Published at 14:55 GMT
More ethnic violence hits Indonesia ![]() More than 20 churches were burnt in Jakarta last week Several mosques have been attacked and set on fire in eastern Indonesia when thousands of Christians rioted, the authorities have said.
The riot developed from a protest and strike. The crowd also burned down a market and a Muslim school. There were no immediate reports of injuries or arrests. The local governor has said the armed forces have restored order to the town, but residents have described the atmosphere as tense. The bishop of Kupang has apologised to Muslims on behalf of Christians for the attacks. The Indonesian Council of Mosques is reported to have appealed to Muslims not to be provoked into revenge attacks.
Earlier on Monday, businesses and schools closed as scores of Christian students protested against rising religious and ethnic tensions. Community leaders have been pleading for restraint from the public, but their calls appear to have had little impact. BBC Jakarta Correspondent Jonathan Head says economic hardship is starting to break down the fragile relations between the many different ethnic and religious groups, and disputes are being allowed to escalate because the security forces are too demoralised to intervene. Jakarta violence Eight days ago, 13 people were killed in clashes between Muslim and Christian communities in the centre of Jakarta. A mob armed with knives and spears went on the rampage, setting fire to churches and attacking cars and buildings.
Witnesses said some Ambonese Catholics were killed by the mob after they were seen beating a Javanese Muslim to death. Some in the crowd mutilated the Ambonese bodies as they lay lined up on display on the road. The unrest comes after a series of bloody anti-government protests earlier this month in which at least 14 people died, however it appears to be unrelated. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||