Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, November 30, 1998 Published at 12:45 GMT


Entertainment

Titanic director's virtual attraction

Titanic: Broke box office records

Titanic director James Cameron is set to open a new 3-D virtual adventure attraction at the Universal Studios theme park in Florida in the spring.

Dubbed a sequel to Terminator 2, it combines live-action stunts with 12 minutes of film in which Edward Furlong battles to save Earth from destruction.

Created by Cameron and special effects wizard Stan Winston, Terminator 23-D is said to be "frame-by-frame, the most expensive live-action motion picture ever made".


Omagh tribute album launched


[ image: Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam with Ross Graham at the album's launch]
Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam with Ross Graham at the album's launch
U2, Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor and Boyzone feature on a new album that hits the shops on Monday to raise funds for those caught in the Omagh bomb blast.

Across The Bridge Of Hope is the Irish music world's response to the most devastating terrorist attack in 30 years of conflict in Northern Ireland.

Proceeds go to a fund aiding victims of the tragedy and their relatives. The title track was inspired by a poem by a 12-year-old boy killed in the bomb.


Dudley Moore divorces


[ image: Dudley Moore: Single again]
Dudley Moore: Single again
Arthur star Dudley Moore has divorced his fourth wife, Nicole Rothschild, after a turbulent four-year marriage.

It comes more than two years after 63-year-old Moore, whose health has been declining dramatically, first filed to divorce Nicole, 34, the Daily Mail said

Under the settlement, Moore keeps most of his £6.5m fortune but foots Nicole's £20,000 legal bill for the failed lawsuit she brought against him last year for allegedly beating her up.


Slater admits suicide bid


[ image: Christian Slater: Trying to restart his acting career]
Christian Slater: Trying to restart his acting career
Actor Christian Slater has admitted he was suicidal on the night last year he got drunk and high on cocaine before a scuffle with police led to his arrest.

"After the fight, I tried to kill myself by jumping off the balcony," he told Rolling Stone magazine.

Slater, whose films include Interview With The Vampire, entered a drug rehabilitation centre after his arrest.

He said he had learned there how to control his behaviour with positive thinking.


Massives claim MTV set-up


[ image: Massive Attack: Were criticised for swearing at MTV awards]
Massive Attack: Were criticised for swearing at MTV awards
Trip-hop stars Massive Attack have revealed they swore at the Duchess of York during an MTV awards ceremony because they were upset at being "set up".

Frontman Robert Del Naja told NME that thumbing his nose at the Duchess at MTV's European Music Awards in Italy, was not a political statement or a publicity stunt.

"I wasn't intentionally trying to humiliate anyone because she's an easy target, I was just angry at the way we were set up by MTV," he said.


Oprah's new cable role


[ image: Oprah Winfrey: Creative force behind new cable channel]
Oprah Winfrey: Creative force behind new cable channel
Chat show queen Oprah Winfrey is to be the creative force behind a new TV cable network aimed at providing programmes intended to inspire women.

Winfrey, who will be a partner in the network, called Oxygen, has agreed to supply it with her production company's library, which includes the re-run rights to her daily talk show.

"Oxygen is aimed at women who want to create or re-create their lives - that's what Oprah is all about. She is such a vibrant soul who truly listens and truly cares," said a spokeswoman.


Director denies Psycho remake rumours

Director Gus van Sant has defended his new film Psycho from accusations that it is just another Hollywood remake.

Van Sant tells US magazine Newsweek that the movie, which opens in America this week, is "an anti-remake film."

His version of the 1960 Hitchcock classic has the same script and copies the original virtually shot for shot.

"Why are they asking me why?" he says. "The biggest reason is that nobody's ever done it."





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Entertainment Contents

Showbiz
Music
Film
Arts
TV and Radio
New Media
Reviews

Relevant Stories

04 Nov 98 | Entertainment
Massive Attack blast split stories

02 Nov 98 | Entertainment
Irish stars back bridge of hope

26 Oct 98 | Entertainment
Titanic steams past video sales record