Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, November 30, 1998 Published at 15:41 GMT


UK

More scientists for Dounreay

Non-essential work at the plant was stopped in May

More than 70 scientists are to be employed as part of a multi-million pound strategy to make the Dounreay nuclear plant in northern Scotland safe.

The UK Atomic Energy Authority, which operates the complex, was severely criticised in a safety audit six months ago.

It was given until 30 November to formulate a plan to bring the plant up to scratch after government inspectors found that more than 140 improvements were needed.

The UKAEA's plan was unveiled in Thurso - where most of the 1,600 strong workforce lives - on Monday afternoon.

It was welcomed by the HSE's chief inspector of nuclear installations, Lawrence Williams, as providing "a good basis on which to go forward".

Mr Williams said: "I particularly welcome the intention to reduce the overall decommissioning timescales.

'Vital that priority is given to recruitment'

"Some of the proposed timescales seem rather long, for example, the completion of safety cases. I recognise that the plan must be realistic, but we shall be pressing the UKAEA for improvements on these timescales.

"The Action Plan indicates dates for achievements, with more or less precision depending upon the need for more detailed programming.

"UKAEA indicate they will need to recruit around 70 new engineers and scientists. I believe it is vital that priority is given to the recruitment of these people as the delivery of the Action Plan is dependent upon the availability of suitably qualified staff, particularly in the early stages."


[ image: Highly radioactive waste is kept at the plant]
Highly radioactive waste is kept at the plant
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive moved onto the site in June after a digger sliced through a power cable, leaving reprocessing facilities without electricity for 16 hours.

Parts of the plant without electricity held some of the most potentially lethal substances known.

There had previously been reports of fires, leakes and explosions at the site - and radioactive particles were found on the seashore near the complex.

The inspectors' report criticised operators for passing on too many tasks to contractors, lacking strategies to deal with radioactive waste, and making little progress on decommissioning.

Managers were also accused of being too secretive.


[ image: Conditions ranged from very good to very bad]
Conditions ranged from very good to very bad
They were banned from carrying out any non-essential work and reprocessing areas affected by May's power cut have been closed ever since.

Managers now acknowledge that many of the problems resulted from too many experienced engineers and scientists being allowed to retire early on "golden handshakes" following the shutdown of Dounreay's main reactor in 1994.

A UKAEA spokesman said: "The work will be carried out safely, properly and on a realistic timescale - UKAEA will not cut corners to save time."

The spokesman added that recruitment was already under way and that the UKAEA was pleased the government had confirmed its commitment to providing the resources needed to operate safely and comply with the 143 recommendations at the Caithness site.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

01 Sep 98 | UK
Experts question safety at nuclear plant

31 Aug 98 | Health
Dounreay under the microscope

31 Jul 98 | UK
Nuclear power station oil leak

28 Jul 98 | UK Politics
MPs criticise Dounreay 'secrecy'

22 Jul 98 | UK Politics
Government urged to abandon reprocessing





Internet Links


UK Atomic Energy Authority

Health and Safety Executive

Scottish CND


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online