![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 29, 1998 Published at 15:21 GMT World: South Asia 'Miracle boy' survives India train crash ![]() Shubham has hardly said a word since his rescue A four-year-old boy has been found alive in the wreckage of Thursday's train crash in India in which 260 people were killed. The boy, called Shubham, was discovered after he was heard crying and calling for his parents, who died in the rail disaster.
"It's a miracle. What else can we call it," said officer Randev Singh Hodal. "We heard a voice in the wreckage. The boy was crying nonstop. He kept saying, 'Take me to my papa. I want my mother.'" Shubham's grandparents and two aunts were also killed in the crash in northern India. Mr Hodal, whose family is looking after the boy, said he had been in a state of shock since his rescue and had hardly spoken.
Rescue workers using acetylene torches carefully cut through the wreckage after hearing Shubham crying. They found him crouched under broken wooden blocks that had formed a tent over him. Police have shown photographs on national television in the hope relatives will come forward to claim him. Rescuers hampered Railway Minister Nitish Kumar said compensation of 25,000 rupees ($595) would be paid to families of the dead and 5,000 rupees ($119) for each of the injured.
The accident has been blamed on a weakened coupling which allowed several carriages of the Amritsar-bound Golden Temple Mail to break free and topple across the parallel track. It is estimated there were as many as 2,600 passengers on the two trains. Rescuers were hampered by the lack of heavy lifting gear and the fire risk from spilt diesel fuel. The accident is the worst since 1995 when around 300 died and more than 400 were injured after two express trains collided near Agra.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||