Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, November 29, 1998 Published at 16:31 GMT


Frustrated Shearer speaks out

Shearer says he is 'sick' of having to deny the rumours

Alan Shearer has again insisted he will be a Newcastle player next season.

The England captain spoke out in a bid to finally kill off the growing speculation about his future.

Shearer's role at St James' Park has been in doubt ever since Ruud Gullit took over as manager earlier in the season.

And the arrival of Scottish frontman Duncan Ferguson for £7m from Everton appeared to have brought matters to a head - at least in the eyes of the Sunday press, who linked him with a move to Barcelona and a player-manager's job at Blackburn.


[ image: Gullit has begun to reshape the Newcastle playing staff]
Gullit has begun to reshape the Newcastle playing staff
Shearer admitted he was bemused when Newcastle boss Ruud Gullit questioned whether or not he would be staying at St James' Park after the defeat at Everton last week.

But the striker had clear-the-air talks with Gullit on Friday and now wants to end the persistent rumours that he is set to leave Tyneside.

"I couldn't understand why he (Gullit) said it and we had a chat on Friday," revealed Shearer. "I just said, `look this speculation has got to end.'

"It's got to stop somewhere. The chairman says I'm not going, the manager says I'm not for sale and I say I'm staying.


[ image: Ferguson's arrival has prompted the media frenzy]
Ferguson's arrival has prompted the media frenzy
"I really don't know where the speculation comes from and, as far as I'm concerned and the club is concerned, we'd like to put an end to it all.

"For the third time this season, I've had to come out and say that I'm staying at Newcastle.

"It won't be happening again because I'm not going to do it again. I'm sick of doing it and I shouldn't have to do it.

"The fact is that I am staying," Shearer told Sky Sports.

But while the tabloid papers seem to agree that Shearer's days in the North East are numbered, there are conflicting reports over his intended destination.

New target for Nou Camp?

The press though seem convinced Shearer is on his way.

The Sunday Mirror claimed that Spanish giants Barcelona are ready to make a sensational swoop for the striker,with an offer of £16m plus £2m-rated defender Miguel Angel Nadal.

But the News of the World, who can boast Shearer as a celebrity columnist, believe the 28-year-old could instead be heading back to his former club Blackburn, after being invited to take over from sacked coach Roy Hodson as player-manager.

But The Observer offers a third option on Shearer's future, with a report that he could be staying at Newcastle - and could become the club's next manager.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©



Relevant Stories

29 Nov 98 | FA Carling Premiership
Fergie nets debut double

29 Nov 98 | FA Carling Premiership
Ferguson completes Newcastle move

29 Nov 98 | FA Carling Premiership
Smith stays despite Ferguson furore





In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers