Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, November 29, 1998 Published at 20:17 GMT


World: Africa

Rebels reject Congo cease-fire

Rebel forces: Fighting is continuing in Congo

Rebel troops opposing the government of President Laurent Kabila in the Democratic Republic of Congo say they are fighting on, despite an outline cease-fire agreement reached in Paris.


Mark Doyle in Abidjan: "The rebel's statement cmes as no surprise"
Ernest Wamba dia Wamba, leader of the Congolese Rally for Democracy (RCD), one of the rebel groups, said that he did not recognise the reported deal between Congo, Zimbabwe, Rwanda and Uganda because the representatives he had sent to the Franco-African summit had not been included in talks.

A Rwandan Government spokesman, Patrick Mazimhaka, also played down the significance of the agreement in Paris.

He said: "I think there was no deal in Paris."

"At Paris what was missing was the presence of the rebel movement in Congo, which is doing most of the fighting against the government of Kabila.

Rwanda and Uganda are backing the Tutsi-dominated rebels while Zimbabwe and several other African countries have supplied troops to President Kabila.

"We have always been ready for negotiations, even talks leading to a cease-fire," said Mr Wamba dia Wamba.


[ image: Laurent Kabila: Refuses to meet rebels]
Laurent Kabila: Refuses to meet rebels
"But deals that exclude us will not be effective because they will not be implemented."

President Kabila has refused to hold talks with the rebels, saying that they are merely the tools of their backers.

In turn, Uganda and Rwanda say their troops are only in the country to block their own rebels from using Congo as a base.

Deal hailed

The Congo conflict dominated the two-day Franco-African summit.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan called for the nations to put their own house in order.


Kofi Annan: "In this war we may face our greatest challenge"
Mr Annan, working with France's President Jacques Chirac and the current chairman of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), President Blaise Compaore of Burkina Faso, persuaded the four main parties in the conflict to hold talks on Saturday.

But despite announcing a ceasefire agreement to be in place within weeks, both Mr Kabila and Rwandan leader Pasteur Bizimungu, said nothing had been signed.

Further talks could take place at December's OAU summit, they added.

Earlier in the summit, President Laurent Kabila had been involved in verbal clashes with other leaders over the conflict.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

28 Nov 98 | Africa
Congo rivals agree to end hostilities

28 Nov 98 | Africa
Congo - a battleground for foreign interests

28 Nov 98 | Africa
Africa's regional interests in Congo

26 Nov 98 | Africa
Kabila appeals for Belgian help





Internet Links


Democratic Republic of Congo

Central Africa Watch


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief