![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 29, 1998 Published at 12:44 GMT World: Americas Chile pursues 'justice' for Pinochet ![]() Pinochet's opponents in Chile recall those who disappeared The Chilean foreign minister has said the only real chance of justice for the victims of General Augusto Pinochet's military regime is to try the former dictator in his own country.
Mr Insulza added: ''In Spain, Britain and elsewhere you will only get symbolic justice because you will never be able to find out and investigate what really happened in Chile.
Jose Miguel Insulza told the BBC on Saturday that he fully expected that 14 lawsuits filed in Chile against the general this year to result in justice. But his assertions have been greeted with scepticism in Chile.
Home Secretary Jack Straw is now deciding whether the extradition should proceed, after a ruling by the UK's Law Lords that General Pinochet did not qualify for immunity from arrest.
Mr Insulza, who spent more than 14 years in exile during General Pinochet's regime, said he did not doubt there had been torture and executions during the dictatorship. But he said Chile had to be allowed to decide how to deal with its past and proceed with its own investigations already underway.
He said Augusto Pinochet's alleged victims believed the Chilean judge investigating the former dictator was doing a thorough job. "They have been very supportive of him and said that he's really conducting a very serious investigation." Pinochet 'unlikely to face trial'
But supporters and opponents of the general back home say it is highly unlikely the former military leader will ever face trial in Chile. An amnesty law passed by General Pinochet in 1978 has so far prevented members of the military government from being convicted for human rights abuses. Several unsuccessful attempts have been made to abolish this law since he stepped down in 1990.
The judge in charge of these lawsuits, Juan Guzman, says he plans to interrogate General Pinochet and does not rule out one day putting him on trial. But even if this were to happen, General Pinochet would have the option of being tried by a military court. BBC Santiago correspondent James Reynolds says most Chileans believe the armed forces would never convict their former commander-in-chief. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||