![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 29, 1998 Published at 17:42 GMT UK Supporters rally for hunger striker ![]() Barry Horne: Solidarity against "evil vivisection" Animal rights campaigners have been holding a mass protest in solidarity with a fellow activist after being on hunger strike for 53 days.
Police say the demonstration has been noisy but non-violent. Horne, 46, has not eaten since 6 October. He is on hunger strike in an attempt to force the government to set up a royal commission on animal vivisection.
The group says monkeys imported from Mauritius, the Philippines and China are held at the farm before being distributed to scientific research institutes around the country. Spokeswoman Kerry Williams said: "We protest in solidarity with Barry Horne against the evil vivisection industry. Our campaign will continue until Shamrock closes." Horne was jailed last year for a firebombing campaign against a string of shops that is estimated to have caused damage worth £3m. The judge who sentenced him to 18 years for arson described him as an "urban terrorist". No to 'blackmail' Horne was transferred to hospital on 24 November and he may already be beyond the stage where it is possible for him to recover even if he decides to end his protest. He has issued instructions ruling out force-feeding should he lapse into a coma. The Home Office announced an immediate ban on vivisection for cosmetic purposes last week, but insisted that it was "not prepared to allow policy to be dictated by blackmail". Special Branch has issued warnings to police forces across the UK to be on guard against extremists who may react violently if Horne dies. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||