![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, November 27, 1998 Published at 06:35 GMT World: Middle East Netanyahu cuts short Europe trip over Lebanon The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has cut short a visit to Europe because of the deteriorating security situation in south Lebanon. Two more Israeli soldiers were killed by suspected Hizbollah guerrillas in the Israeli-occupied zone overnight when a bomb exploded near their patrol. Seven Israelis have now been killed so far this month. Speaking in London, Mr Netanyahu said he would return home for a cabinet meeting on Lebanon, instead of travelling to Spain. He said he would launch an enquiry into Israel's tactics on its border with Lebanon, including a possible troop withdrawal. There's growing concern in Israel over the mounting cost of its military operation in the border area it has occupied since l985. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||