Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 26, 1998 Published at 19:06 GMT


UK

Councillor quits after corruption probe

The Donnygate scandal errupted in 1997

A council leader arrested in connection with a corruption enquiry has resigned.

The former Labour leader of Doncaster Council, Malcolm Glover, was arrested at his home on Wednesday.

He was later released on police bail and is expected to be charged shortly.

He stepped down from his position at Doncaster Council on Thursday, and resigned from the regional Labour Party - although he is not believed to have quit as a councillor.

Mr Glover, who says he will fight any allegations against him, became leader of the council when the "Donnygate" scandal erupted amid a major police inquiry early last year.

He was held by detectives working on Operation Danum, which is investigating alleged expenses fraud, illegal land deals and other irregularities in the council.

Mr Glover, aged 47, is one of a long list of councillors arrested as part of the operation.

Three have been jailed and others are awaiting court appearances.


[ image: South Yorkshire Police are conducting Operation Danum]
South Yorkshire Police are conducting Operation Danum
His predecessor, Peter Welsh, resigned when the allegations first came to light last year.

Andrew Sharp, Labour Party regional director, said: "As leader, Malcolm Glover has played an important role bringing in a wide range of changes during a difficult period for Doncaster Council.

"He has informed me that he is standing down as leader and from the Labour Group while he contests any possible allegations, which I understand go back to a time some years ago.

"He has clearly taken the right course of action at this time."

Current deputy leader, Councillor Colin Wedd, has taken over as acting leader until the controlling Labour group has met to elect a new leader and deputy.

He said: "Whatever has happened over the last two years, this council has proved extremely resilient.

"It will continue on the course and the policies it has embarked upon. We know it is right for this authority and the people of the borough.

"Changes which have been brought in over this period will ensure the council continues to proceed in a proper manner and to provide efficient, good quality services for its residents.

"The authority has co-operated with the police throughout this time and will continue to do so."



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online