Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 26, 1998 Published at 03:21 GMT


US slams 'excessive force' by Indonesian army

Protests continue on the streets of Jakarta

The United States has criticised the Indonesian security forces over their handling of violent clashes with students earlier this month in which 14 demonstrators were killed.


Paul Cusiac reports on continuing protests in Jakarta
State Department spokesman James Rubin said the security forces "clearly involved excessive use of force by security forces against unarmed demonstrators" and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

With Indonesia moving through a difficult period of reform, Mr Rubin said Washington expected the government "to respect fully the rights of Indonesian citizens to freedom of speech and assembly."

He said that any further demonstrations should be peaceful and called on security forces "to refrain from violence so that there is no repetition of the events of 13-14 November."


[ image: Protesters are demanding real political change]
Protesters are demanding real political change
The clashes coincided with a special assembly of the Indonesian parliament called to discuss the country's political reform. It was some of the worst violence in Indonesia since the riots in May in which around 1,200 people died.

In Jakarta itself there have been further demonstrations as more than 1,000 Indonesian students marched through the city in the fourth attempt in two weeks to protest outside the house of former president Suharto.

Their way was blocked by troops and police armed with sticks and riot shields.

Suharto under investigation

One of the student's key demands is that the government launch a thorough investigation into the former president's wealth which is estimated at as much as $40bn.


[ image: Tight security remains in force]
Tight security remains in force
Critics say Mr Suharto siphoned off state wealth to benefit his family's business empires and are demanding that the state seize his wealth.

According to one cabinet minister President BJ Habibie is due this week to announce details of an independent commission to investigate corruption during Mr Suharto's three decades in power.

Mr Suharto himself has consistently denied any wrong-doing and says he is willing to submit to any investigation.

But the students are unlikely to be satisfied.

They say the government is still dominated by many of Mr Suharto's former proteges and accuse them of protecting him from prosecution.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




LATEST NEWS

KEY SPEECHES

ARCHIVE

SPECIAL REPORT

INTERNET LINKS

AUDIOBOX





Internet Links


US State Department


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.