Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, November 25, 1998 Published at 20:03 GMT


World: Middle East

New hope for Lockerbie trial

Continuing debate over the trial of the two suspects

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has hinted he may visit Libya to help solve the dispute over the trial of two suspects in the Lockerbie bombing.

After a change in policy in London and Washington earlier this year, the UN decided sanctions against Libya could be suspended if the two men were handed over for trial in the Netherlands rather than Scotland or the US as originally demanded.


[ image: The bomb killed 270 people]
The bomb killed 270 people
Kofi Annan told reporters he hoped to bring the issue to a close by the end of this month.

He said he would be in North Africa next week and that a visit to Libya had not been excluded.

His comments follow weeks of discussions between Libyan and UN lawyers over the legal details of any trial for the two men - Abdel Baset al-Megrahi and Al-Amin Khalifah Fhimah - alleged to be behind the bombing that killed 270 people in 1988.

The Libyans have been concerned about precisely where in the Netherlands the trial would take place and where the two would serve their sentences if found guilty.

Diplomatic sources in New York say the legal issues are less important than the fundamental political decisions that ultimately rest with the Libyan leader, Colonel Gaddafi.

They say he must decide whether the domestic political risks of handing the two men over outweigh the obvious international benefits.

The Libyan leader has been under increasing pressure from his allies in Africa and the Arab world to end the dispute. Our UN Correspondent Rob Watson says a personal visit by Mr Annan may provide the perfect opportunity to do just that.

Top security chiefs 'jailed'

At the same time, there have been reports that three senior Libyan officials have been tried and jailed in Tripoli in connection with the bombing.

But exiles in London say this is an attempt by the Libyan authorities to prevent key witnesses testifying in any trial of the two men wanted by the US and UK.

The exiles argue that if the officials - who are all stalwarts of Colonel Gaddafi's government and include his closest associates - are already behind bars, they will be unable to be called as witnesses.

Alternatively, the exiles say the convictions could be used to show London and Washington that Tripoli has taken its own steps to address the Lockerbie case.

According to the exiles, the three security officials - Abdullah al-Senussi, Musa Koussa and Muhammad al-Misrati - were convicted of dereliction of duty and sentenced to between five and seven years in prison.

There has been no confirmation from Libya, but Libyan Justice Minister Muhammad al-Zuwiy did not deny the trials took place.

Western diplomatic sources say that whatever may have happened, the three are already back behind their desks.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

17 Oct 98 | Lockerbie
UK firm on conditions for Lockerbie trial

24 Aug 98 | Lockerbie
Profile: The Libyan maverick

25 Nov 98 | Lockerbie
Fast facts on Lockerbie





Internet Links


Air Accidents Investigation Branch (Lockerbie)

Pan Am 103 Crash Page

Memorial to Pan Am 103 victims

United Nations

League of Arab States: Libya


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform