![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, November 25, 1998 Published at 18:46 GMT UK Vicar vows to help tunnellers ![]() Aiming high: Dug-in campaigners make their point A methodist minister has teamed up with eco-warriors in their protest against the construction of the country's first toll motorway. The Reverend David Shawcross has vowed to act as a lookout for the tunnelling campaigners, who have dug in along the route of the Birmingham Northern Relief Road at Weeford, in Staffordshire. The vicar keeps in touch with the underground campaigners via CB radio and mobile phone. He says that when the 50 bailiffs on the site move in to evict protestors, he will try to ensure that no-one gets injured. Mr Shawcross, who is a former caver, says some of the holes inside the tunnels are as small as 18 inches square. But he added everyone was determined to stay down there.
Veteran campaigner Muppet Dave said they had created the most sophisticated tunnels yet seen at a protest, all linked by an advanced communications system.
"This interim period will be used for the construction of a compound and facilities for the team carrying out this work and it is not envisaged that any protestors will be evicted at this stage," it said. The contractors, who moved in on Tuesday, will also build a viewing platform for the media and a fence.
"When I confirmed that they weren't coming on to our site I gave them the all-clear and everyone came out into the compound." In fact, the atmosphere was surprisingly congenial, with bailiffs and campaigners who have faced each other at other anti-road protests chatting and laughing together. Bailiffs have previously taken several weeks to move environmental protesters from sites at Manchester Airport and the Newbury by-pass. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||