![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, November 25, 1998 Published at 16:03 GMT
Lampard staying with Hammers ![]() Frank Lampard (left) celebrates a goal with Ian Wright West Ham have rejected an £8m offer from Tottenham for England under-21 midfielder Frank Lampard. Spurs made calls to both managing director Peter Storrie and Hammers manager Harry Redknapp, but their bid was turned down. "We did have an offer from Tottenham and we said 'Thank you, but no thank you. We are not interested in selling'," said Storrie. "They telephoned me and then they telephoned Harry - they were persistent at least. But Harry told them no, and I told them no. He is not for sale." Lampard, 20, came close to a place in the England senior squad for the recent friendly against the Czech Republic, but coach Glenn Hoddle opted for Aston Villa's Lee Hendrie. His father, Frank senior, is Redknapp's assistant at Upton Park. "I signed a five-year contract earlier this season which was a commitment from me and my ambition is to play for England, while at West Ham," said Lampard. "I was disappointed not to get into the England squad last week but I've played well in the last few games for the under-21s and it's up to me to keep battling away and hope the chance will come." Tottenham chairman Alan Sugar has, meanwhile, decided to take a more "hands on" role in the running of the club following Claude Littner's decision to give up the job of chief executive.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||