Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, November 25, 1998 Published at 11:10 GMT


World: Middle East

Yemen chief accuses Saudis of bomb attack


A tribal chief in Yemen who says he was the target of a bomb attack on Tuesday in Sana'a has blamed Saudi Arabia for the incident.

The tribal chief, Sheikh Mohammed bin Shajeh, lives in a house close to where the bomb went off.

Three people, including a young boy, were killed in the attack.

Sheikh bin Shajeh said today that agents sent by Saudi Arabia had carried out the attack because he sided with Yemen in a border dispute between the two countries.

He said that an anonymous telephone caller had threatened to kill him earlier this month if he did not change his position in the dispute.

Correspondents say that Yemen has long contested Saudi Arabia's claim to three Red Sea islands and parts of the region known as the Empty Quarter, a vast area of desert with potentially lucrative oil fields.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform