Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, November 25, 1998 Published at 20:16 GMT


Sport: Tennis

Agassi suffers injury setback

Agassi concedes defeat to Alex Carretja

Andre Agassi's bid to play through the pain barrier backfired in Hanover when he was forced to retire mid-way through his opening match at the ATP Tour World Championship.


Ian Carter reports (BBC Radio 5 Live)
The American, who won the tournament in 1990, suffered a back injury while practising earlier this week but declared himself fit to face Spaniard Alex Corretja in their White Group round robin match.

Agassi won the opening set 7-5, but lost the next 6-3 and called it a day after dropping his serve to trail 2-1 in the third.

"I hit a swinging volley at 2-2 in the first set and something got stuck. After that it was very painful and I couldn't move properly.

"It's a spasm in the back and it has tightened up. I had five injections yesterday as well as a lot of treatment but the pain didn't go away," said Agassi.

His decision increases the chances of British number two Greg Rusedski playing a part in the competition.

Rusedski was pipped to an automatic place in the eight-man event by Russia's Yevgeny Kafelnikov, but travelled to Germany in case any of the players were injured.

World number two Marcelo Rios is also struggling with a back problem, which affected him during his defeat by Tim Henman on Tuesday evening.

The Chilean left-hander complained about the injury following his 7-5 6-1 but hopes to be fit for his second match on Thursday.

Sampras reaches semis

World number one Pete Sampras guaranteed his place in the last four by outplaying French Open champion Carlos Moya 6-3 6-3 in their Red Group clash.

Both players had won their opening matches but Spaniard Moya, who has a poor 1998 record in indoor tournaments, was swept aside in just 62 minutes.

Sampras struck 13 aces as he improved his chances of finishing as number one for a record sixth successive year.

"I put him under a lot of pressure and he made quite a few mistakes from the baseline that he normally wouldn't do," the American said.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Tennis Contents


Relevant Stories

24 Nov 98 | Tennis
Demon Henman demolishes Rios





Internet Links


Official World Championships site


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

British stars flop in rankings

Agassi caps comeback with French double

Henman hustled out of Paris

Rusedski down and out in Paris

Enqvist secures Stuttgart success

Henman crashes again