Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, November 24, 1998 Published at 18:28 GMT


UK

Prince's Trust fined over deaths

The scene of the accident on North Ronaldsay

The Prince's Trust has been fined £10,000 after the deaths of two of its volunteers on an isolated Scottish island.

Garry Leaburn, 25, and Derek Taylor, 19, both from Dundee, were killed when a five-tonne concrete slab fell on them as they carried out a major engineering job on the Orkney island of North Ronaldsay in 1997.

Procurator-Fiscal Graeme Napier said the two men were "not competent" to perform the work.

The trust pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act.

'No risk assessment'

The men travelled with the trust to the island to help repair a dry stone wall, but switched to repairing a concrete sea wall which had been damaged during a storm.

They were working in a hole below the wall on 6 August 1997 when it collapsed.

Despite a seven-hour rescue attempt, both men died from "traumatic asphyxia"

Mr Napier told the court that even a basic risk assessment would have revealed that the men were in danger.

"As a result of the failures to comply with their obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act, two young men tragically lost their lives in North Ronaldsay," he said.

"Risk assessment is not a one-off but a continuing responsibility.

'Fun challenge'

"They had become involved in a major structural engineering operation without the competence needed. They should not have been involved."

The Health and Safety Executive, Orkney Islands Council and Scottish Enterprise all confirmed that the work on the sea wall was beyond the competence of the volunteers.

The trust became involved on the island after Prince Charles took a direct interest in the plight of the islanders who have insufficient manpower to repair frequent storm damage.

The 12-week course on North Ronaldsay was described as "fun, free and a challenge" and gave those who completed it a certificate signed by the Prince of Wales.

Two other organisations involved in the course were also fined.

Adult Community Training (Dundee) Limited pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the health and safety of the team and exposing it to risks.

The board of management of Angus College admitted providing inadequate information and training and failing to carry out proper technical or risk assessment.

Complete review

Solicitor David Stewart, defending the trust, said the organisation had no idea the men had switched to repairing the sea wall and expressed condolences to their family members.

The trust, under the motto "Helping young people to succeed", provides training, grants and support for business start-ups under the patronage of Prince Charles.

Up to 8,000 young people took part in more than 200 programmes in 1997-98.

It was the first serious accident in the history of the organisation, which was established by the Prince in 1976.

The Prince's Trust said it would be carrying out an independent review of its procedures, which may include the involvement of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

13 Nov 98 | UK
Charles gets 'Full Monty' at 50

10 Nov 98 | UK
Charles: Prince with passion





Internet Links


The Prince's Trust

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online