Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, November 24, 1998 Published at 17:48 GMT


UK

Gloves are off for early evening news

Trevor McDonald: Fronting early evening news

ITN anchorman Trevor McDonald is to present ITV's main news programme when it moves to its new slot next year. The popular newsreader will front the new 1830 GMT programme which will replace News At Ten from next year.

The move is likely to lead to increased competition with the BBC whose early evening news bulletin is broadcast at 1800 but McDonald said he relished the thought of competition and added: "Television news is a great hotbed of competition. We are going straight for their audience."

The newsreader, who recently signed a new contract with ITN, will also anchor ITV's planned hour-long weekly current affairs special, and will also host his own Sunday evening chat show on the planned ITV2 digital channel.

Dermot Murnaghan, 40, usually seen on ITV's lunchtime news, will present the 2300 bulletin in the new ITV evening schedule, which was okayed by television watchdogs last week.

Later bulletin will have 'pace'

It would be quite different from BBC Two's heavyweight current affairs programme Newsnight, which transmits at roughly the same time, he said.

"We have 20 minutes on air. We will certainly have pace," he added.

"A lot has happened during the day, more parliament, sport, America is up and running and you're starting to get stories breaking from tomorrow's newspapers."

ITN, which supplies news to the independent network, is working on the format for the new programmes, which will clear space after the 2100 watershed for films, dramas, current affairs and sport.

ITV bosses had complained that the 2200 bulletin was losing out to commercial competitors like satellite and claimed it was unpopular with viewers because it interrupted late evening films and dramas.

Familiar aspects to be retained

The retention of McDonald, 59, as presenter is unlikely to be the only familiar aspect of the new programme.

ITV chiefs have said News At Ten's famous Big Ben headlines, and the notorious "And Finally ..." item would probably also be retained in the early evening slot.

ITV's bid to scrap News At Ten was opposed by many with Prime Minister Tony Blair, Culture Secretary Chris Smith and the influential Culture, Media and Sport select committee opposing the move.

Now company bosses will be hoping that Tuesday's announcement that familiar faces will front the new bulletins will show viewers they have little to fear.

Move allows fresh approach

ITV director of programmes David Liddiment said the new schedule, with altered weekday bulletins, would come in during the forthcoming winter season, but refused to say when in the new year it would start.

The change means ITV can take a fresh approach to the schedule, which will help ensure a bright future for ITV and allow him to introduce greater diversity and better quality in the evening programmes.

The move will allow ITV to screen films from 2100 without a break.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
Internet Links


ITN

ITV


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online