![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, November 24, 1998 Published at 15:06 GMT UK Eco-warriors dig in for new road war ![]() Aiming high: Dug-in campaigners make their point Police and bailiffs have moved in to begin the eviction of "eco-warriors" who have dug in at the site of the UK's first toll motorway.
One veteran campaigner said they had created the most sophisticated tunnels yet seen at a protest, all linked by an advanced communications system.
"This interim period will be used for the construction of a compound and facilities for the team carrying out this work and it is not envisaged that any protestors will be evicted at this stage," it said. The contractors, who moved in on Tuesday morning, will also build a viewing platform for the media and a fence.
"When I confirmed that they weren't coming on to our site I gave them the all-clear and everyone came out into the compound." In fact, the atmosphere was surprisingly congenial, with bailiffs and campaigners who have faced each other at other anti-road protests chatting and laughing together. Bailiffs have previously taken several weeks to move environmental protesters from sites at Manchester Airport and the Newbury by-pass. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||