![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, November 24, 1998 Published at 11:35 GMT UK Disabled boy wins millions ![]() The court heard of a "huge feat of devotion" A 12-year-old boy, severely disabled by brain damage at birth, has been awarded £3.25m in damages at the High Court in London. David Reynolds was born at Poole General Hospital, Dorset, in May 1998, after his mother's second stage of labour had been "prolonged for far too long a period," his counsel, Christopher Purchas QC, told the court. He did not breathe at all for the first 18 minutes of his life and he had no heartbeat for the first eight minutes. As a result, David suffers from cerebral palsy, which seriously affects his movement and ability to communicate, and he requires full-time care. He will now attend a school capable of catering for his special needs. The judge also agreed that £200,000 of David's award should go to his parents for all the care they have given him. Mr Purchas told Mr Justice McKinnon that Mrs Reynolds and her husband, Jeremy, from Billingshurst in West Sussex, had provided David with everything, including his education, in what amounted to a "huge feat of devotion". East Dorset Health Authority has also agreed to pay legal costs and £27,000 compensation to David's mother, Susan, 44, for internal injuries she suffered during delivery.
|
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||