![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 23, 1998 Published at 15:46 GMT
Orangemen attack 'propaganda' ![]() Orange leaders talk of a "campaign of demonisation" Senior Orange Order officials have complained of a "propaganda campaign" following their their meeting with Prime Minister Tony Blair. In a short statement outside 10 Downing Street, leading Orangeman John McCrea said there was an "orchestrated campaign of demonisation" against the order. Mr McCrea said discussions with Mr Blair had covered the parades situation and a propaganda "campaign" against the movement. "A delegation from the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland, which included representatives of the County Down Lodge of Armagh and Portadown District Number One, today met the prime minister to present our views on the parades issue and the wider situation pertaining to our culture and heritage. "Included in the topics for discussion were our opposition to the Parades Commission and the apparently orchestrated campaign of demonisation of the Orange institution.
A spokesman for Mr Blair said the meeting had been "positive and constructive". "The prime minister listened carefully to the points raised by the Order and promised to keep in touch." Monday's 90-minute meeting took place at the request of the Orangemen, following a secret meeting they had with Catholic and Protestant church leaders last week. Behind-the-scenes efforts have been taking place for months in an attempt to resolve the continuing protest at Drumcree. The fourth-month stand-off began in July when the Parades Commission refused Orangemen permission to march down the nationalist Garvaghy Road. The enforcement of the ruling by the Parades Commission led to violent clashes between thousands of protesters and police. The worst moment came when demonstrators attacked nearby properties, throwing firebombs into houses in the area.
Hundreds protested in the town again in October to demand their right to march, despite objections from the Quinn family. The numbers of Orangemen in Portadown has reduced considerably in the months since, but a small presence has continued at the hill-top Drumcree Parish Church. So far there has been no public indication that the Orange Order is prepared to call off its protest unless Orangemen are allowed to complete the annual march. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||