![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 23, 1998 Published at 11:35 GMT
More bodies found in Jakarta ![]() Christian recovers religious books from church More bodies have been recovered in the Indonesian capital Jakarta, bringing to at least 13 the number of people killed in weekend clashes between Muslims and Christians.
The gambling hall had been burnt out along with seven churches and one Catholic school. Six people, all of them Christians, died on Sunday from knife and machete wounds.
In a fresh appeal for calm, President Habibie warned that continued unrest would hold back economic recovery. Calls for restraint were also issued by religious and opposition leaders. Frenzied crowd According to reports, Muslims attacked the gambling hall, near a Christian church in Chinatown because they believed it was being used by Christians from the eastern island of Ambon, said to be responsible for an alleged assault on a mosque.
Around 20 worshipers fled, but were chased by members of the crowd. One senior police officer was rushed to hospital after being slashed across the face with a machete. Many of the Christians were later evacuated from their homes to prevent further attacks. Christians targeted According to the Red Cross, at least five of the dead found on Sunday were Ambonese Catholics, who had been slashed with knives and broken bottles.
Local television stations reported that 10 people were arrested. Looting and arson were reported in several areas in the north and west of the capital. About 90% of Indonesians are Muslims. Christian groups say more than 400 churches have been burnt down over the past five years. The BBC Jakarta Correspondent, Jonathan Head, says that with the capital already tense following anti-government student protests which have left 14 dead, and the security forces suffering from low morale, there is a real tendency for people to take the law into their own hands. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||