BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Scotland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Saturday, 3 August, 2002, 14:14 GMT 15:14 UK
Rise in suspected E. coli cases
Caravan park sign
Dozens of houses use the same water supply
The number of people thought to be affected by an outbreak of the potentially deadly E. coli bug in the Highlands has risen to 14.

Health officials said on Saturday that two more "probable" cases had come to light as efforts continued to contain the outbreak.

Three cases - all of them children - have so far been confirmed, while 11 other "probable" cases have now been reported.


We are all aware that this is both a worrying and frustrating time for those who have been affected

Dr Cameron Stark
Tests carried out on Friday confirmed the presence of the E. coli O157 bacterium in the water supply to the Rothiemurchus Camp and Caravan Park at Coylumbridge, near Aviemore.

More than 40 houses in the area use the same private water supply.

Health officials have advised anyone who has been in contact with the water supply in the second half of July, or who is experiencing diarrhoea or vomiting, to contact their GP for advice.

An outbreak control team has been formed.

Chairman Dr Cameron Stark, consultant on public health medicine, said: "We will be making further house-to-house contact with all the residencies on the water supply to offer advice, reassurance and information.

Public supply

"We are all aware that this is both a worrying and frustrating time for those who have been affected and we are extremely grateful for people's co-operation and patience."

The owner of both the campsite and Rothiemurchus estate, John Grant, is arranging with Scottish Water to link the site and homes into the public water supply.

Dr John Wrench, the director of public health at NHS Highland, said officials had recommended that the site be closed.

Mr Grant said he was "distraught" that the water supplied by the estate "may have caused families to suffer from this extremely nasty illness".

See also:

02 Aug 02 | Scotland
01 Aug 02 | Scotland
01 Aug 02 | Scotland
18 Apr 02 | Scotland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes