BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Friday, 2 August, 2002, 21:37 GMT 22:37 UK
Grandparents at crash orphan's bedside
Eastwood family
Cecily Eastwood was the family's only survivor
The grandparents of a 22-month-old girl orphaned in a crash on a Spanish motorway were at her hospital bedside on Friday night.

Cecily Eastwood, of Stoke-on-Trent, was "morally and psychologically" cheered by her grandparents' arrival at Pontevedra, hospital spokesman Raul Alvarez said.

The toddler, who broke her leg in the crash in which her brother also died, is expected to stay in hospital over the weekend in case complications with the break set in.

Her father, hospital consultant Nigel Eastwood, 40, mother Rebecca, 37, and brother Alexander, seven, were killed in the crash in north west Spain on Wednesday.

Cecily Eastwood
Cecily is more stable with her grandparents
Grandparents Hammy Armstrong, 61, and his wife, Mrs Eastwoods' parents, arrived to see Cecily at about 4pm local time and will be staying with her over the weekend.

"She had been disorientated with so many unfamiliar people around her not speaking English but she reacted positively and recognised her family," Mr Alvarez said.

"She is surrounded by people giving her love and warmth. It was morally and psychologically helpful for her to see them. It means she is more stable."

He thought Cecily was not fully aware of the tragedy.

"The doctors say that such a young girl can live without being traumatised because she spent such a short time with her parents," he said.

Reckless driving

A Spanish man and a woman also died in the crash. Two others were seriously injured.

A judge has started an investigation into the accident after a 40-year-old man appeared before her to face charges of reckless driving in connection with the incident.

A Guardia Civil spokesman said the man was released after appearing before a judge on Thursday.

A British consular official, Daniel Wickham, said a judge would decide whether to go ahead with a prosecution.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Midlands Today
Pictures from the crash scene

Click here for more from Stoke
See also:

02 Aug 02 | England
01 Aug 02 | England
31 Jul 00 | Wales
28 Sep 99 | UK
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes